The California Basic Educational Skills Test, known as the CBEST, is required for all potential general education teachers in the state. The CBEST test includes three topics:
Participants have four hours to complete the CBEST test, and there is no time limit for each section. Depending on your local test site, you may take a paper and pencil test or a computer test.
The CBEST math test not only assesses your ability to perform various math functions and answer problems but also knows how to use math knowledge for a set of common learning situations. Many of the questions you find in this test are related to the concepts you learned in high school.
You can expect to find about 50 math questions. All of the math questions will be in multiple-choice format. When it comes to categorizing exam questions, 40% focus on an assortment of nondescript concepts, 20% on geometry, and 40% center around arithmetic. Below we discuss each of the questions asked in the test.
The Absolute Best Book to Ace the CBEST Math Test
Numerical and graphical relationships
This section focuses primarily on data – graphs, charts, spreadsheets, tables, and percentages. You must use the data provided to answer the questions. Find out how the two pieces of data relate to each other. Fill in the blanks of the data sheets based on the patterns in the other inputs and understand the different data rules.
Computation and problem solve
The questions in this section require you to use your knowledge of basic arithmetic functions – division, multiplication, subtraction, and addition. You are also expected to analyze word problems and find answers to them through a technique different from the norm, as well as figure out if you can come to a reasonable answer to a problem based on the data provided.
Estimation, measurement, and statistical principles
It mainly deals with your ability to evaluate statistical properties and functions, as well as to estimate numerical and measurement data. This section is further divided into two distinct subsets:
These sections include probability, percentage, and the average, among other basic elements of statistics. You must also demonstrate your knowledge of standardized examinations and how they are scored. Some questions give you hypothetical grade information that you should use to compare a student’s grades with the rest of the group.
Estimation and measurement
This section will evaluate your numerical guessing abilities. Questions of subset require you to find the ballpark answer for an arithmetic equation. Find measurements in specific conditions or contexts (like temperature or capacity).
A Comprehensive Bundle to Help you prepare for the CBEST Math Test
Complete List of CBEST Math Topics
Fractions and Decimals
- Simplifying Fractions
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions
- Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
- Adding Mixed Numbers
- Subtracting Mixed Numbers
- Multiplying Mixed Numbers
- Dividing Mixed Numbers
- Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- Multiplying and Dividing Decimals
- Comparing Decimals
- Rounding Decimals
- Factoring Numbers
- Greatest Common Factor
- Least Common Multiple
Real Numbers and Integers
- Adding and Subtracting Integers
- Multiplying and Dividing Integers
- Order of Operations
- Ordering Integers and Numbers
- Integers and Absolute Value
Proportions, Ratios, and Percent
- Simplifying Variable Expressions
- Simplifying Polynomial Expressions
- Translate Phrases into an Algebraic Statement
- The Distributive Property
- Evaluating One Variable Expressions
- Evaluating Two Variables Expressions
- Combining like Terms
Equations and Inequalities
- One-Step Equations
- Multi-Step Equations
- Graphing Single–Variable Inequalities
- One-Step Inequalities
- Multi-Step Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Finding Slope
- Graphing Lines Using Standard Form
- Graphing Lines Using Slope-Intercept Form
- Writing Linear Equations
- Graphing Linear Inequalities
- Finding Midpoint
- Finding Distance of Two Points
Exponents and Radicals
- Multiplication Property of Exponents
- Division Property of Exponents
- Zero and Negative Exponents
- Powers of Products and Quotients
- Negative Exponents and Negative Bases
- Scientific Notation
- Writing Polynomials in Standard Form
- Simplifying Polynomials
- Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
- Multiplying Monomials
- Multiplying and Dividing Monomials
- Multiplying a Polynomial and a Monomial
- Multiplying Binomials
- Factoring Trinomials
- Operations with Polynomials
Geometry and Solid Figures
Statistics and Probability
- Function Notation
- Adding and Subtracting Functions
- Multiplying and Dividing Functions
- Composition of Functions
Is the CBEST Math test hard?
The CBEST math test is not difficult, and you can pass this test with enough study and practice.
How do I study for the CBEST Math?
How you prepare for the CBEST math test is very important. You can use good prep books to prepare well for the CBEST math test. You can also use online practice tests for further practice after studying the CBEST exam courses.
How is the CBEST test scored?
You need to earn a minimum score of 41 to pass the mathematics subtest.
Looking for the best resources to help you or your student succeed on the CBEST test?
The Best Book to Ace the CBEST Test
More from Effortless Math for CBEST Test…
How much do you know about the CBEST test?
What Does the CBEST Test Qualify You For is an article that complements your basic CBEST test information.
Want to have a study plan for the CBEST math test?
wait! Read our article first: Top 10 Tips to Create a CBEST Math Study Plan
Sample CBEST math test questions should be tailored to your needs and you can trust us with this: CBEST Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
The Perfect Prep Books for the CBEST Math Test
Have any questions about the CBEST Test?
Write your questions about the CBEST or any other topics below and we’ll reply!
More math articles
- Hоw tо Choose thе Right Calculator fоr High Sсhооl
- Top 5 PERT Math Study Guides
- How to Solve Finite Geometric Series? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Best Calculators fоr Algеbrа
- 4th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test Questions
- How to Evaluate Logarithms? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top 10 3rd Grade FSA Math Practice Questions
- Math Courses Required For A Business Degree
- 3rd Grade SC Ready Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- FREE 7th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test