What Kind of Math Is on the AFOQT Test?
The AFOQT is a standardized test designed specifically to assess the qualifications and skills of individuals seeking entry into the United States Air Force. After passing this test, a qualified person can be selected to perform the initial stages of training.
AFOQT is a multiple-choice test that includes 12 subtests. In total, test-takers in these 12 subtests must answer 470 questions in 213 minutes (approximately 3.5 hours). This may seem like a long time, but it will pass quickly for you. The two AFOQT subtests are Arithmetic Reasoning and Mathematics Knowledge, and here we briefly review the contents of these two subtests.
The Absolute Best Book to Ace the AFOQT Math Test
This section tests your ability to use basic arithmetic to solve a variety of math problems, including word problems. It is necessary to study topics such as geometry, proportions, ratios, mixtures, integers, percentages, and time-distance in this section. You must answer 25 questions of arithmetic within 29 minutes, which means you will have a little more than a minute to solve each question. Each question may have up to five possible answers. You must first understand the question well, then you can decide which of the answer options is correct. Usually, the calculations in this section are not difficult and just cover the basics. But the main challenge is to choose which types of calculations need to be performed. The use of calculators is not allowed in this section.
This subtest consists of 25 questions and you have 22 minutes to answer these questions. To complete this section on time, you must be able to solve 1 to 2 questions per minute. In this section, you will encounter straightforward math concepts. Of course, the knowledge you need to answer Mathematics Knowledge questions is more advanced than what is needed to perform calculations for Arithmetic Reasoning problems. The questions in this section focus on the basics of mathematics, including algebra, geometry, and arithmetic. To answer the questions in this section, you must have sufficient knowledge in the field of algebra and geometry. There are many mathematical concepts that you may encounter in the Mathematics Knowledge section. More common concepts include systems of equations, imaginary numbers, ratios, factoring of polynomials, orders of operations, exponents, radicals, functions, probabilities.
|math sections||topics||Number of questions|
|#1||Arithmetic Reasoning||Adding and Subtracting Integers, Multiplying and Dividing Integers, Order of Operations, Ordering Integers and Numbers, Integers and Absolute Value, Simplifying Ratios, Proportional Ratios, Similarity and Ratios, Percentage Calculations, Percent Problems, Discount, Tax and Tip, Percent of Increase and Decrease, Simple Interest, Simplifying Fractions, Adding and Subtracting Fractions, Multiplying and Dividing Fractions, Adding Mixed Numbers, Subtracting Mixed Numbers, Multiplying and Dividing Mixed Numbers, Dividing Mixed Numbers, Adding and Subtracting Decimals, Multiplying and Dividing Decimals, Comparing Decimals, Rounding Decimals, Factoring Numbers, Greatest Common Factor, Least Common Multiple||25|
|#2||Mathematics Knowledge||Multiplication Property of Exponents, Division Property of Exponents, Zero and Negative Exponents, Powers of Products and Quotients, Negative Exponents and Negative Bases, Scientific Notation, Radicals, Pythagorean Theorem, Triangles, Polygons, Trapezoids, Circles, Cubes, Rectangular Prism, Cylinder, Polynomials, Mean, Median, Mode, and Range, Histograms, Pie Graph, Probability Problems, Combinations and Permutations, Functions, Finding Slope, Graphing Lines Using Standard From, Graphing Lines Using Slope-Intercept Form, Writing Linear Equations, Graphing Linear Inequalities, Finding Midpoint, Finding Distance of Two Points, Simplifying Variable Expressions, Simplifying Polynomial Expressions, Translate Phrases into an Algebraic Statement, The Distributive Property, Evaluating One Variable Expression, Evaluating Two Variables Expressions, Combining like Terms, Equations, and Inequalities||25|
Best AFOQT Math Prep Resource for 2022
Complete List of AFOQT Math Topics
Fractions and Decimals
- Simplifying Fractions
- Adding and Subtracting Fractions
- Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
- Adding Mixed Numbers
- Subtracting Mixed Numbers
- Multiplying Mixed Numbers
- Dividing Mixed Numbers
- Adding and Subtracting Decimals
- Multiplying and Dividing Decimals
- Comparing Decimals
- Rounding Decimals
- Factoring Numbers
- Greatest Common Factor
- Least Common Multiple
Real Numbers and Integers
- Adding and Subtracting Integers
- Multiplying and Dividing Integers
- Order of Operations
- Ordering Integers and Numbers
- Integers and Absolute Value
Proportions, Ratios, and Percent
- Simplifying Ratios
- Proportional Ratios
- Similarity and Ratios
- Percentage Calculations
- Percent Problems
- Discount, Tax and Tip
- Percent of Increase and Decrease
- Simple Interest
- Simplifying Variable Expressions
- Simplifying Polynomial Expressions
- Translate Phrases into an Algebraic Statement
- The Distributive Property
- Evaluating One Variable Expressions
- Evaluating Two Variables Expressions
- Combining like Terms
Equations and Inequalities
- One-Step Equations
- Multi-Step Equations
- Graphing Single–Variable Inequalities
- One-Step Inequalities
- Multi-Step Inequalities
- Systems of Equations
- Finding Slope
- Graphing Lines Using Standard Form
- Graphing Lines Using Slope-Intercept Form
- Writing Linear Equations
- Graphing Linear Inequalities
- Finding Midpoint
- Finding Distance of Two Points
Exponents and Radicals
- Multiplication Property of Exponents
- Division Property of Exponents
- Zero and Negative Exponents
- Powers of Products and Quotients
- Negative Exponents and Negative Bases
- Scientific Notation
The Best Quick Study Guide for the AFOQT Math Test
- Writing Polynomials in Standard Form
- Simplifying Polynomials
- Adding and Subtracting Polynomials
- Multiplying Monomials
- Multiplying and Dividing Monomials
- Multiplying a Polynomial and a Monomial
- Multiplying Binomials
- Factoring Trinomials
- Operations with Polynomials
Geometry and Solid Figures
Statistics and Probability
- Function Notation
- Adding and Subtracting Functions
- Multiplying and Dividing Functions
- Composition of Functions
Is the AFOQT Math test hard?
The AFOQT Math test is not very difficult, but the point that makes this test challenging is that it somehow measures your IQ.
How do I study for the AFOQT Math?
How you prepare for the AFOQT Math test is very important. You can use good prep books to prepare well for the AFOQT Math test. You can also use online practice tests for further practice after studying the AFOQT exam courses.
How is the AFOQT Test Scored?
A score of ten is required for officer qualification. for more information, you can check here.
The Best Books to Ace the AFOQT Math Test
More from Effortless Math for AFOQT Test …
Looking for a collection of free math worksheets that would help you in your AFOQT Math preparation?
Check out our AFOQT Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable.
Want to review the most common AFOQT Math formulas?
Here is our complete list of AFOQT Math formulas.
Need a practice test to help you improve your AFOQT Math score?
The Perfect Prep Books for the AFOQT Math Test
Have any questions about the AFOQT Test?
Write your questions about the AFOQT or any other topics below and we’ll reply!
More math articles
- FREE 6th Grade MAP Math Practice Test
- Full-Length 6th Grade PARCC Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- 3rd Grade MEAP Math Practice Test Questions
- Intelligent Math Puzzle – Challenge 89
- 8th Grade ACT Aspire Math Practice Test Questions
- 3rd Grade Common Core Math Practice Test Questions
- A Comprehensive Collection of Free ALEKS Math Practice Tests
- Top 10 SSAT Upper Level Prep Books (Our 2022 Favorite Picks)
- The Best Webcams for Teachers and Online Students
- Other Topics Puzzle – Challenge 98