You can work as a substitute teacher in California, regardless of your level of education. In this post, we will look at some ways to become a substitute teacher in California. So join us!
There are four types of substitute teacher permits in California:
- 30-day permit
- Teaching permit for prospective teachers
- Career permit
- CTE 30-day permit
The Absolute Best Book to Ace the CBEST Math Test
Here are some steps to becoming a substitute teacher in California:
Step 1- Meet education requirements
Your first step to becoming a substitute teacher in California is to get a bachelor’s degree and submit unofficial transcripts. Allows you to get a career permit or a 30-day permit.
Step 2: Complete testing
All licenses except the CTE 30-day require a score of 123 on the California Basic Educational Skills Test or CBEST. This test has three sections: reading, writing, and math. The math and reading sections each have 50 multiple-choice questions, while the writing section asks you to complete two essays. You have four hours to complete the CBEST test.
Alternatively, you can get a score of 220 on the California Subject Examinations for Teachers (CSET). This test has three subtests with multiple choice questions, short answers, and essays.
Another option is to score three or more in math and English in The College Board Advanced Placement (AP) exams.
Step 3: Get a fingerprint
The last requirement for becoming a substitute teacher in California is fingerprinted. All prospective teachers must be fingerprinted and cleared by the California Department of Justice and the FBI.
Looking for the best resources to help you or your student succeed on the CBEST test?
The Best Books to Ace the CBEST Test
More math articles
- 5th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test Questions
- 6th Grade PSSA Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- ACCUPLACER Math Practice Test Questions
- Best Laptops for Students: Lenovo vs. HP vs. Dell
- How to Simplify Ratios? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- How to Add and Subtract Functions? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top 10 5th Grade NYSE Math Practice Questions
- Top 10 Tips to Create a TASC Math Study Plan
- Algebra Puzzle – Challenge 50
- TASC Testing Accommodation and Support for Disabilities