Mrs. Walters has 61 candles. She burns one candle every day and always makes one new one from the remaining wax of seven burnt candles. After how many days she needs to buy new candles?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is E.
Mrs. Walters burns one candle every day and she can make a new one from the remaining wax of seven burnt candles. After 56 days, Mrs. Walters can make 8 new candles. (56 ÷ 7 = 8)
So, she has 13 candles now. After seven days, she burns 7 candles and makes another candle. So, she has 7 candles now. She can burn these 7 candles in 7 days and make a new candle after that for another day.
Therefore, she needs to buy new candles after 71 days:
56 + 7 + 7 + 1 = 71
More math articles
- FREE 4th Grade ACT Aspire Math Practice Test
- 6 Best Pre-Algebra Study Guides
- How to Find Complementary and Supplementary Angles? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 19
- 5th Grade STAAR Math Practice Test Questions
- 7th Grade Georgia Milestones Assessment System Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Prepare for the SIFT Math Test?
- 7th Grade STAAR Math Practice Test Questions
- ISEE Upper-Level Math Formulas
- Top 5 Free Websites for ASTB-E Math Preparation