Intelligent Math Puzzle – Challenge 91
Looking for great math puzzles to get students strategically thinking about math? If so, then this math challenge is just for you!
Mrs. Walters has 61 candles. She burns one candle every day and always makes one new one from the remaining wax of seven burnt candles. After how many days she needs to buy new candles?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is E.
Mrs. Walters burns one candle every day and she can make a new one from the remaining wax of seven burnt candles. After 56 days, Mrs. Walters can make 8 new candles. (56 ÷ 7 = 8)
So, she has 13 candles now. After seven days, she burns 7 candles and makes another candle. So, she has 7 candles now. She can burn these 7 candles in 7 days and make a new candle after that for another day.
Therefore, she needs to buy new candles after 71 days:
56 + 7 + 7 + 1 = 71
More math articles
- Best Smartphones For Math Students
- TExES Core Subjects Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 3rd Grade Scantron Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- Intelligent Math Puzzle – Challenge 84
- Full-Length DAT Quantitative Reasoning Practice Test
- How to Graph Transformation on the Coordinate Plane: Dilation?
- Best Calculators for Linear Algebra and Calculus
- Top 10 Tips to Overcome HSPT Math Anxiety
- Geometry Puzzle – Challenge 76
- 10 Most Common 5th Grade MAP Math Questions