Intelligent Math Puzzle – Challenge 91
Looking for great math puzzles to get students strategically thinking about math? If so, then this math challenge is just for you!
Mrs. Walters has 61 candles. She burns one candle every day and always makes one new one from the remaining wax of seven burnt candles. After how many days she needs to buy new candles?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is E.
Mrs. Walters burns one candle every day and she can make a new one from the remaining wax of seven burnt candles. After 56 days, Mrs. Walters can make 8 new candles. (56 ÷ 7 = 8)
So, she has 13 candles now. After seven days, she burns 7 candles and makes another candle. So, she has 7 candles now. She can burn these 7 candles in 7 days and make a new candle after that for another day.
Therefore, she needs to buy new candles after 71 days:
56 + 7 + 7 + 1 = 71
Related to This Article
More math articles
- How to Graph Quadratic Inequalities? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- The Ultimate ASVAB Math Course (+FREE Worksheets & Tests)
- Let’s Chat: How to Simplify the Steps to Solve Two-step Equations
- Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 11
- How to Evaluate Decimal Distances on the Map
- How to Find Complementary, Supplementary, Vertical, Adjacent, and Congruent Angles?
- Full-Length DAT Quantitative Reasoning Practice Test
- How to Use Benchmark to Compare Fractions?
- How to Use Place Value Blocks to Compare Decimals
- Full-Length SSAT Lower Level Practice Test-Answers and Explanations