Geometry Puzzle – Critical Thinking 18
This is another great Critical Thinking Puzzle and challenge to tease your brain and help you develop your creative thinking!
The sum of more than two consecutive integers is 17. What is the least number of the integers?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is C.
The sum of some consecutive integers is 17. Since, 17 is a prime number, then, we cannot find any positive consecutive integers whose sum is 17. Why?
Therefore, we need to consider negative numbers. We know that the sum of two consecutive positive numbers can be 17. Those numbers are 8 and 9.
We are looking for consecutive integers. The sum of negative and positive of a number is zero. For example, the sum of 1 and -1 is 0, or the sum of 2 and -2 is 0.
We found 8 and 9. The other numbers are:
9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1, -2, -3, -4, -5, -6, -7
The sum of above numbers is 17. Thus, the least number of the integers is 17.
More math articles
- How to Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF)? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Stem –and–Leaf Plots
- A Comprehensive Collection of Free ALEKS Math Practice Tests
- Top 10 7th Grade NYSE Math Practice Questions
- 5th Grade STAAR Math Practice Test Questions
- 10 Most Common CLEP College Algebra Math Questions
- Pre-Algebra Practice Test Questions
- The Law of Cosines
- Full-Length 6th Grade GMAS Math Practice Test
- FREE 6th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test