How to Discovering Patterns: Using Graphs to Find Rules
Graphs are like picture stories of numbers.
They show us how numbers change and help us see patterns. Let’s learn how to look at graphs and find the rules that make these patterns!
Step-by-step Guide to Using Graphs to Find Rules:
1. Look at the Graph:
Is it a line that goes up or down? Or is it a bunch of dots? This will give you a clue about the pattern.
2. Check the Spaces:
See how much the line goes up or down as you move from one dot to the next. This can tell you the rule of the pattern.
3. Starting Point:
Find where the line starts. This is often where the line meets the bottom line of the graph.
4. Guess the Rule:
Using the starting point and the spaces between the dots, try to guess the rule. For example, if the line starts at 2 and goes up by 2 every time, the rule might be “start at 2 and add 2.”
5. Test Your Guess:
Pick some dots on the graph and see if they follow your rule. If they do, you’ve probably found the right rule!
Imagine a line that starts at 2 and goes up by 2 every time. The dots on the graph might be at (1,2), (2,4), and (3,6). The rule is “start at 2 and add 2.”
The Absolute Best Book for 5th Grade Students
If there’s a line that starts at 5 and goes down by 1 each time, the dots might be at (1,5), (2,4), and (3,3). The rule is “start at 5 and take away 1.”
1. If a line starts at 3 and goes up by 3 each time, where will the dot be when it’s at 2?
2. Imagine a line that starts at 4 and goes down by 2 each time. Where will the dot be when it’s at 3?
A Perfect Book for Grade 5 Math Word Problems!
1. The dot will be at (2,6).
2. The dot will be at (3,2).
The Best Math Books for Elementary Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- Top 10 Tips to Create the TExES Core Subjects Math Study Plan
- 6th Grade STAAR Math Practice Test Questions
- ASVAB Math-Test Day Tips
- 7th Grade MCAS Math Practice Test Questions
- How to Find Transformation: Rotations, Reflections, and Translations?
- How to Graph Rational Functions?
- Top 10 Free Websites for ISEE Math Preparation
- 10 Most Common 5th Grade MEAP Math Questions
- How to Multiply Three or More Numbers?
- Geometry Puzzle – Challenge 65