Number Properties Puzzle -Critical Thinking 3
This is a great critical thinking challenge for those who love math challenges and puzzles. Let's see if you can solve it! Time to challenge your brain!
When number y is divided by 7, the remainder equals to the quotient. What is the greatest value of y?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is 48.
First, let’s find some values of y. Let’s choose the smallest possible value for the quotient. It’s 0. Then, the remainder should also be 0. Therefore, the number y should be 0.
0 × 7 + 0 = 0
To find the next value of y, you should choose 1 for both quotient and remainder. Then, the value of y is 8.
1 × 7 + 1 = 8
What is the next value of y?
It’s 16. 2 × 7 + 2 = 16
Using the same pattern, you can find other values of y.
3 × 7 + 3 = 24
4 × 7 + 4 = 32
5 × 7 + 5 = 40
6 × 7 + 6 = 48
It is possible to choose 7 for both quotient and remainder?
Since, the remainder cannot be equal to the divisor (it’s 7 here), therefore, the greatest number you can choose for both quotient and remainder is 6. Then, the greatest value of y is 48.
When you divide 48 by 7, both quotient and remainder are 6.
The Absolute Best Books to Ace AlgebraSatisfied 1 StudentsSatisfied 125 Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- The Ultimate Praxis Core Math Formula Cheat Sheet
- The Best Calculators for Back to School 2023
- The Ultimate 4th Grade STAAR Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- 8th Grade PARCC Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- The Binomial Theorem
- Full-Length SAT Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- 7th Grade RISE Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- Math Education in the Digital Age: Techniques for Today’s Classroom
- The Ultimate 7th Grade SC Ready Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- The Math Adventure: The Quest for Probability and Predictions