Algebra Puzzle – Challenge 56
This is another great math puzzle and brain teaser for anyone interested in mathematics and critical thinking challenges.
Mr. Anderson is 36 years old. His son is 6 years old. After how many years Mr. Anderson’s age will become exactly 2.5 times of his son’s age?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is 14.
Let x be the number of years that Mr. Anderson’s age will become 2.5 times of his son’s age. Therefore:
36 + x = 2.5 (6 + x) → 36 + x = 15 +2.5 x → 21 = 1.5x → x = 14
In 14 years, Mr. Anderson will be 50 years, (36 + 14 = 50) which is 2.5 times of his son who will be 20 years.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- Full-Length 7th Grade FSA Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- How to Solve Word Problems of Calculating Profit
- How to Find Fractions of Time Units
- 6th Grade LEAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Find the Volume and Surface Area of a Triangular Pyramid?
- How to Do Scaling Whole Numbers by Fractions?
- How to Use Number Lines to Graph and Order Fractions
- Top 10 4th Grade Common Core Math Practice Questions
- 8th Grade MAP Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Prepare for the Pre-Algebra Test?