Overview of the CLEP College Mathematics Test
The College-Level Examination Program, or also known as the CLEP, is a set of 33 standardized tests that assess your knowledge in specific topics. By earning a satisfactory score on the computer-based CLEP exam, you can earn the credit of thousands of universities and colleges.
The CLEP College Mathematics defines your knowledge of the mathematical concepts taught in a university course for non-mathematical majors. It contains approximately 60 multiple choice questions that will be answered in 90 minutes. Some of these questions are pre-test questions that are not graded.
College math test questions require candidates to show the following abilities in approximate proportions shown.
- Solve routine and straightforward problems (about 50% of the examination)
- Solve unusual problems that require an understanding of concepts and the application of concepts and skills (about 50% of the examination)
The Absolute Best Book to Ace the CLEP College Mathematics Test
What topics does the CLEP College Mathematics cover?
The subject of the College Mathematics test is extracted from the following topics.
Algebra and Functions (20%)
- Solving equations, linear inequalities, and systems of linear equations by graphical and analytic methods
- Interpretation, representation, and evaluation of functions: numerical, graphical, symbolic, and descriptive methods
- Graphs of functions: horizontal and vertical reflections, translations, and symmetry about the x-axis, the y-axis, and the origin
- Linear and exponential growth
Counting and Probability (10%)
- Counting problems: the multiplication rule, permutations, and combinations
- Probability: intersection, union, independent events, mutually exclusive events, conditional probabilities, complimentary events, and expected value
Data Analysis and Statistics (15%)
- Data interpretation and representation: tables, line graphs, bar graphs, circle graphs, pie charts, scatterplots, and histograms
- Numerical summaries of data: mean, median, mode, and range
- Standard deviation, normal distribution
Financial Mathematics (20%)
- Percent, percent change, markups, discounts, taxes, profit, and loss
- Interest: simple, compound, continuous interest, effective annual yield, effective interest rate, or annual percentage rate
- Present value and future value
- Properties of triangles and quadrilaterals: area, perimeter, similarity, and the Pythagorean theorem
- Parallel and perpendicular lines
- Properties of circles: area, circumference, central angles, inscribed angles, and sectors
Logic and Sets (15%)
- Logical operations and statements: conjunctions, conditional statements, disjunctions, negations, logical conclusions, hypotheses, converses, inverses, counterexamples, contrapositives, logical equivalence
- Set relationships, subsets, disjoint sets, Venn diagrams, and equality of sets
- Operations on sets: union, intersection, and complement
- Properties of numbers and their operations: rational and integers, irrational, and real numbers (including recognizing rational and irrational numbers)
- Elementary number theory: primes and composites, factors and divisibility, odd and even integers, and the fundamental theorem of arithmetic
- Measurement: scientific notation, unit conversion, and numerical precision
- Absolute value
Best CLEP College Math Prep Resource for 2022
Is the CLEP College Mathematics hard?
The CLEP College Mathematics is not difficult, and you can pass the test with enough effort.
Do you get a formula sheet in the CLEP College Mathematics?
The CLEP College Math test does not provide you with a formula sheet, so you need to memorize all the important formulas.
Can you use a calculator on the CLEP College Mathematics?
You do not need to bring a calculator with you to the test center as a scientific calculator is available during the test.
What is the passing score of CLEP College Mathematics?
The score of the test is from 20 to 80 points, and usually, a score of 50 is considered the minimum passing score.
Looking for the best resources to help you or your student succeed on the CLEP College Mathematics test?
The Best Books to Ace the CLEP College Mathematics Test
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 5 Best Laptops for Math Teachers in 2023
- 6th Grade M-STEP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- The Ultimate GED Math Formula Cheat Sheet for 2022!
- Full-Length SSAT Upper Level Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- How to Evaluate Trigonometric Function? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- 4th Grade MAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- Overview of the AFOQT Mathematics Test
- List Of the Best Middle School Math Supply for Learning
- Top 10 ATI TEAS 7 Math Practice Questions
- Full-Length 6th Grade Common Core Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
What people say about "Overview of the CLEP College Mathematics Test"?
No one replied yet.