CLEP College Math vs. CLEP College Algebra: The Difference!
Exam season is here. Many aspiring future college students are gearing up to take the Algebra CLEP or Math CLEP exam. Both exams offer credits and are well worth the preparations. These two exams are quite different. Let’s analyze the differences, benefits, and most importantly, which exam is suitable for you. As well as some helpful tips to help you get started!
The CLEP exam is more challenging than the actual College math CLEP. So if you pass the CLEP, You have demonstrated great Mastery of college-level math and are well deserving of that credit exam. Also, the Algebra CLEP exam may be more suitable for students who passed advanced college-level algebra because most of the topics covered are intense Algebra and Calculus. Whereas the math CLEP might be easier for some. Well, let’s check it out!
The Absolute Best Book to Ace the CLEP College Mathematics Test
Fast Breakdown of Both Exams
College Algebra CLEP
- Time: 90 minutes long computer-based exam
- Questions: 60 multiple choice questions must be answered in 90 minutes
- Calculator: Scientific Non-Graphing
- Pass Rate: 24%
- Major Difference: Extensive Algebra Operations
- ACE Credit Recommendation: 3 Credit Hour
- Exam Cost: $89
College Math CLEP
- Time: 90 minutes long
- Questions: 60 questions must be answered in 90 minutes
- Calculator: Scientific Non-Graphing
- Pass Rate: 64%
- Major Differences: Test on other kinds of math
- ACE Credit Recommendation: 6 Credit Hour
- Exam Cost: $89
The Absolute Best Book to Ace the CLEP College Algebra Test
Overview of CLEP Algebra Section
The Algebra CLEP is more in-depth. The exam is more advanced than high school-level math. Therefore, students taking advanced math classes will have more success on the exam than students taking regular math classes.
There is hope if you take the CLEP Algebra exam and don’t have much luck, or if you haven’t taken any exams and might not be that strong in Algebra. Then, it will be in your best interest to take the Math CLEP exam.
The Algebra CLEP has a low pass rate compared to the Math CLEP. So, keep that in mind. It is not impossible to pass, but it’s something to consider. Algebra can be difficult for many people. Some students tend to have a dislike for Algebra because of how hard it can be. But there is always a way, and studying is the best option. Here is a side note: (I used to be quite bad at math until I started attending the after-school tutoring section. I’m not that great at math. But I passed the college-level Algebra exam. Anything is possible, people!)
Here is a Brief Overview of the exam:
Algebra operations: 25%
Equation and inequalities: 25%
The function of properties: 30%
Numbers systems and operation: 20%
- The percent amount equals the number of questions about the math subject that will be on the exam.
Free resources for Algebra CLEP
The best way to study for an exam is to practice and take a course or sample questions to help you get started. Below are some free links that will help you study:
Try some CLEP College Algebra Sample Questions: CLEP College Algebra FREE Sample Practice Questions
Take the Algebra Help Course: The Ultimate CLEP College Algebra Course
Study.com also offers a course: CLEP Courses
A Perfect Prep book to help you ACE the CLEP College Algebra Test
CLEP Math Exam Overview
This exam covers a mix of math topics. Think of it as taking an entry-level math class to get to the next level, an actual Algebra class. So, if you’re not that strong in Algebra, you can prepare yourself by studying more. On the other hand, if you are strong in all the other topics which offer a mix of different types of math. You will excel on the exam.
Some people say that the CLEP Algebra exam is difficult. Some people say that the CLEP math exam is more manageable. Finally, some people say that all exams are challenging, so If you find yourself in the latter take the initiative and study.
Resources on CLEP Math
Try some CLEP College Math Sample Questions: CLEP College Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
Take the Math Help Course: The Ultimate CLEP College Mathematics Course
The college board also offers Study Resources: College Mathematics Resources
Best CLEP College Math Prep Resource for 2022
Tips for studying!
- Work on your weakness: For every topic you are not strong in, work on it! Make sure you master it. From experience, it’s better to be decent at something and know how to solve the equation. Then not ignoring your weakness.
- Change your state of mind: think positive when you think about math, do not drill into your mind that you’re bad at math. You have to believe you’re good at math because from belief comes action: It starts with mindset.
- Practice Daily: set out a time and block out the same time every day. Dedicate that time to only math.
- Memorize the formulas that can come in extremely handy: Here are CLEP Algebra and CLEP Math formulas
- Doing practice exams will be your best friend. That is how you build up stamina and confidence and how you become stronger in math.
- Learn how to use a non-scientific calculator: There are so many problems that you can quickly solve with a calculator. Make sure you master it, and it can save your score!
- Find a tutor: tutoring is one of the best ways to prepare for an exam. There are plenty of online tutoring options. You can also check with your school for a tutor. They can put you on the right track towards passing that exam.
To wrap it all up, the major difference between both exams is that one is advanced algebra or college-level algebra. The other is more of a mix of different types of math. Rumors about the level of difficulty are very mixed. I believe it depends solely on the person and where they currently stand in math. You will never know until you sit down and start practicing problems! Think about it! When all is said and done, and you’ve passed the CLEP Algebra or CLEP Math, it will be a great story to tell, and you won’t regret it!
The Best Books to Ace the CLEP College Test
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 7th Grade KAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- Overview of the SHSAT Mathematics Test
- How to Interpret Histogram? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Place Values Relationship
- 5th Grade MAAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 6th Grade Georgia Milestones Assessment System Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- 3rd Grade STAAR Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- 7th Grade OST Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How Is the PERT Test Scored?
- Top 10 6th Grade OST Math Practice Questions
What people say about "CLEP College Math vs. CLEP College Algebra: The Difference!"?
No one replied yet.