Decimal Dynamics: How to Evaluating Numerical Expressions with Decimals
Decimals are a way of representing fractions using numbers and a dot.
When we come across math problems with decimals, it’s important to handle them correctly to get the right answer. In this guide, we’ll learn how to solve math expressions that have decimals in them.
Step-by-step Guide to Evaluating Numerical Expressions with Decimals:
1. Understand the Expression:
Read the math expression carefully. Look for operations like addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (×), or division (÷).
2. Line Up the Decimals:
When adding or subtracting decimals:
– Write the numbers vertically.
– Make sure the decimal points are in a straight line.
– Add or subtract as you would with whole numbers.
3. Multiplying Decimals:
– Multiply the numbers as if they were whole numbers.
– Count the total number of digits to the right of the decimal point in both numbers.
– Place the decimal point in the product so that there are as many digits to its right as the total you counted.
4. Dividing Decimals:
– Move the decimal point in the divisor to make it a whole number.
– Move the decimal point in the dividend the same number of places.
– Place the decimal point in the quotient directly above where it appears in the dividend.
5. Check Your Answer:
Once you’ve solved the expression, look back to make sure your answer makes sense.
Evaluate: \(2.5 + 3.75\)
Line up the decimals and add:
The answer is \(6.25\).
The Absolute Best Book for 5th Grade Students
Evaluate: \(4.2 × 3.1\)
Multiply as if they were whole numbers:
42 (42 × 1)
126 (42 × 3)
Since there are two digits in total to the right of the decimal points in the original numbers, the answer should have two digits to the right of its decimal point: \(13.02\).
1. Evaluate: \(5.6 – 3.4\)
2. Evaluate: \(3.5 × 2.2\)
3. Evaluate: \(7.8 ÷ 2\)
A Perfect Book for Grade 5 Math Word Problems!
The Best Math Books for Elementary Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- How to Use Division Properties
- Best Graphing Calculators for High School Students
- Top 10 Tips to ACE the Praxis Core Math Test
- 3rd Grade STAAR Math Practice Test Questions
- How to Find Convert Fractions and Mixed Numbers into Decimals
- The Ultimate Accuplacer Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- Top 10 Tips to Create an AFOQT Math Study Plan
- 4th Grade OAA Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 7th Grade Ohio’s State Tests Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Understand Congruence through Rigid Motion Transformations