Powerful Decimals: How to Uncover the Missing Number in Division by Powers of 10
Division by powers of 10 is a cornerstone concept in mathematics, especially when dealing with decimals. The process involves shifting the decimal point, and understanding this can help in determining missing numbers in division equations. Let's explore this concept in depth.
When dividing by \(10\), the decimal point moves one place to the left. For \(10^2\) (or 100), it moves two places to the left, and so on.
Dividing by a Power of 10 with Decimals: Discover the Missing Number
Complete the division sentence: \(2.5 \div \_ = 0.25\).
To transform \(2.5\) to \(0.25\), the decimal point needs to move one place to the left.
The missing number is \(10\), as \(2.5 \div 10 = 0.25\).
The Absolute Best Book for 5th Grade Students
Complete the division sentence: \(3.45 \div \_ = 0.0345\).
To transform \(3.45\) to \(0.0345\), the decimal point needs to move two places to the left.
The missing number is \(100\), as \(3.45 \div 100 = 0.0345\).
Dividing decimals by powers of 10 and uncovering missing numbers is a skill that simplifies many mathematical tasks. By understanding the relationship between decimals and powers of 10, you can swiftly determine missing numbers in division sentences. This skill not only boosts your mathematical prowess but also enhances your confidence in handling decimals. So, the next time you’re faced with a decimal division puzzle, remember this key insight and solve it effortlessly!
1. Complete the division sentence: \(4.6 \div \_ = 0.46\).
2. Determine the missing number: \(5.78 \div \_ = 0.0578\).
3. Complete the division sentence: \(0.9 \div \_ = 0.09\).
4. Determine the missing number: \(6.543 \div \_ = 0.006543\).
5. Complete the division sentence: \(7.89 \div \_ = 0.0789\).
A Perfect Book for Grade 5 Math Word Problems!
The Best Math Books for Elementary Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- Line Graphs
- 7th Grade Georgia Milestones Assessment System Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Prepare for the ISEE Upper-Level Math Test?
- 10 Most Common 5th Grade IAR Math Questions
- How to Write a Linear Inequality from a Graph?
- The Binomial Theorem
- Overview of the ACCUPLACER Math Test
- 10 Most Common 4th Grade SBAC Math Questions
- How to Prepare for the THEA Math Test?
- 5th Grade PSSA Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable