How to Solve Real-World Puzzles: Division with Decimal Quotients
In the real world, numbers don't always neatly divide into whole numbers. Often, we encounter situations where the result of a division is a decimal. Let's explore some word problems that involve division leading to decimal quotients.
Division Using Decimal Quotients: Word Problems
John has \(5\) apples, and he wants to share them equally among his \(3\) friends. How many apples does each friend get?
Divide the number of apples (5) by the number of friends (3).
Each friend gets \(1.67\) apples, or \(1\) apple and \(2/3\) of another apple.
The Absolute Best Book for 5th Grade Students
A chocolate bar costs \(4\) dollars. If Lisa has \(7\) dollars, how many chocolate bars can she buy?
Divide the amount Lisa has (7) by the cost of one chocolate bar (4).
Lisa can buy \(1.75\) chocolate bars, or \(1\) chocolate bar and three-quarters of another one.
Word problems involving division with decimal quotients bring math to life. They help us understand how mathematical concepts apply to everyday situations. By practicing these problems, you’ll not only sharpen your division skills but also develop a keen sense of how math operates in the real world. So, the next time you’re faced with a real-world division problem, approach it with confidence and let your mathematical prowess shine!
1. Mike ran \(8\) kilometers in \(3\) hours. How many kilometers did he run per hour?
2. A bottle contains \(11\) liters of water. If \(5\) people share it equally, how many liters does each person get?
3. A pizza has \(10\) slices. If \(6\) friends share it equally, how many slices does each friend get?
4. A book costs \(9\) dollars. If you have \(15\) dollars, how many books can you buy?
A Perfect Book for Grade 5 Math Word Problems!
1. \(2.67\) kilometers per hour.
2. \(2.2\) liters per person.
3. \(1.67\) slices or \(1\) slice and \(2/3\) of another slice.
4. \(1.67\) books or \(1\) book and \(2/3\) of another book.
The Best Math Books for Elementary Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 5th Grade MCAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Understand the Real Number Line
- Top 10 Tips You MUST Know to Retake the TABE Math
- DAT Quantitative Reasoning Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Calculate Cylinder Volume and Surface Area? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- The Ultimate 6th Grade WVGSA Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- What Kind of Math Is on the HSPT Test?
- Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 22
- How to Divide Exponents? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Unlock Your Potential: “HiSET Math for Beginners” Comprehensive Guide