Ratio, Proportion and Percentages Puzzle – Challenge 28
This is a great math and critical thinking challenge to strengthen a child's grasp of math concepts in a fun way.
During the last three years, the price of a car has been reduced by \(10\%\) in the first year, \(20\%\) in the second year, and \(25\%\) in the third year. What percent of the original price is the total reduction of the car’s price?
The Absolute Best Book to Challenge Your Smart Student!
The correct answer is C.
Choose x for current price of the car. In the first year, the price of the car reduced to \(0.90 x\). Next year, it’ll be
\(0.90x × 0.80 = 0.72x\).
For the third year, the price of the car is: \(0.72x × 0.75 = 0.54 x\)
Therefore, \(46\%\) of the original price is the total reduction of the car’s price.
The Absolute Best Books to Ace Algebra
Related to This Article
More math articles
- The Ultimate 6th Grade RICAS Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- FTCE General Knowledge Test Review
- Students Make the Most Mistakes in These Math Topics
- Top 10 4th Grade ACT Aspire Math Practice Questions
- 10 Most Common 4th Grade ACT Aspire Math Questions
- Top 10 ISEE Middle Level Prep Books (Our 2023 Favorite Picks)
- FREE PSAT Math Practice Test
- Vectors Introduction
- The Ultimate 7th Grade OSTP Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- 4th Grade MEAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable