Ratio, Proportion and Percentages Puzzle – Challenge 28
This is a great math and critical thinking challenge to strengthen a child's grasp of math concepts in a fun way.
During last three years, the price of a car is reduced by \(10\%\) in the first year, \(20\%\) in the second year, and \(25\%\) in the third year. What percent of the original price is the total reduction of the car’s price?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is C.
Choose x for current price of the car. In the first year, the price of the car reduced to \(0.90 x\). Next year, it’ll be
\(0.90x × 0.80 = 0.72x\).
For the third year, the price of the car is: \(0.72x × 0.75 = 0.54 x\)
Therefore, \(46\%\) of the original price is the total reduction of the car’s price.
More math articles
- How to Prepare for the SBAC Math Test?
- Top 10 ATI TEAS 6 Prep Books (Our 2022 Favorite Picks)
- How to Find Experimental Probability?
- How to Graph the Cosine Function?
- SAT Math Vs. High School Math
- How to Multiply Binomials? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top 5 Books for math teachers
- Best Laptops for Students: Lenovo vs. HP vs. Dell
- Overview of the ASVAB Mathematics Test
- What Kind of Math Is on the CHSPE Test?