Algebra Puzzle – Challenge 36
Time to challenge and tease your brain with another great mathematics challenge. If you couldn't solve it, don't worry! Even some very smart people have a hard time solving this puzzle!
In a small farm, there are 8 hens, 5 chickens, and 4 roosters. A hen eats 2.5 times of a chick and a rooster eats 1.5 times a hen. If all together eat 4000 seeds per day, how many seeds does a hen eat during one day?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is E.
Let H represents the number of seeds a hen eats each day, C represents the number of seeds a chicken eats each day and R represents the number of seeds a rooster eats each day. Therefore,
H + C + R = 4205
H = 2.5 C and R = 1.5 H→R = 1.5 (2.5 C) →R = 3.75 C
Replace the value of H and R in the first equation with their values in the second and third equations:
2.5 C + C + 3.75 C = 4205 → 7.25 C = 4205 → C = 580
H = 2.5 C → H = 2.5 (580) = 1450
A hen eats 1450 seeds in one day.
More math articles
- 10 Most Common 7th Grade IAR Math Questions
- Best Note-Taking Tablet for College Students
- How to Find Measures of Variability? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Math Topics You Need to Learn in Medicine
- What Kind of Math Is on the TASC Test?
- PSAT Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 10 Most Common ALEKS Math Questions
- How Hard Is the ALEKS Math Test?
- Top 10 4th Grade MEAP Math Practice Questions
- Best tools for Online teachers