Algebra Puzzle – Challenge 36
Time to challenge and tease your brain with another great mathematics challenge. If you couldn't solve it, don't worry! Even some very smart people have a hard time solving this puzzle!
In a small farm, there are 8 hens, 5 chickens, and 4 roosters. A hen eats 2.5 times of a chick and a rooster eats 1.5 times a hen. If all together eat 4000 seeds per day, how many seeds does a hen eat during one day?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is E.
Let H represents the number of seeds a hen eats each day, C represents the number of seeds a chicken eats each day and R represents the number of seeds a rooster eats each day. Therefore,
H + C + R = 4205
H = 2.5 C and R = 1.5 H→R = 1.5 (2.5 C) →R = 3.75 C
Replace the value of H and R in the first equation with their values in the second and third equations:
2.5 C + C + 3.75 C = 4205 → 7.25 C = 4205 → C = 580
H = 2.5 C → H = 2.5 (580) = 1450
A hen eats 1450 seeds in one day.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- FREE SSAT Lower Level Math Practice Test
- Full-Length TASC Math Practice Test
- 5th Grade ACT Aspire Math Practice Test Questions
- 5th Grade OST Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- Top 10 8th Grade ACT Aspire Math Practice Questions
- PERT Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 5th Grade PARCC Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- The Ultimate HiSET Math Course (+FREE Worksheets & Tests)
- 10 Most Common 6th Grade MCAS Math Questions
- Top 10 6th Grade OST Math Practice Questions
What people say about "Algebra Puzzle - Challenge 36"?
No one replied yet.