Ratio, Proportion and Percentages Puzzle – Challenge 30
This is a perfect math puzzle for those who love challenging their brain. The solution is also provided.
The product of two numbers is 216 and their sum is 35. What is their difference?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is 19.
Let x be the first number and y the next number. Therefore:
\(xy = 216\) and \(x + y = 35\). Solve the second equation for x:
\(x + y = 35 → x = 35 – y\)
Replace the value of x in the second equation with x in the first equation.
\(xy = 216 → (35 – y) y = 216 →35y – y^2 = 216 →\)
\(y^2 – 35y + 216 = 0\)
Factorize the polynomial: \((y – 8) (y – 27) = 0\)
\(y = 8\) or \(y = 27\)
The difference is 19.
The Absolute Best Books to Ace Algebra
Related to This Article
More math articles
- Writing down Variable Expressions Involving Two Operations
- Top 10 Tips to ACE the ASVAB Math
- Unraveling More about Limits at Infinity
- Top 10 4th Grade MEAP Math Practice Questions
- Unlock Your Potential: “HiSET Math for Beginners” Comprehensive Guide
- 6th Grade TCAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- What Are the Applications of the Law of Sines?
- How to Interpret Pie Graphs? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- The Ultimate ACT Math Course (+FREE Worksheets & Tests)
- 5 Best Accuplacer Math Study Guides