Ratio, Proportion and Percentages Puzzle – Challenge 30
This is a perfect math puzzle for those who love challenging their brain. The solution is also provided.
The product of two numbers is 216 and their sum is 35. What is their difference?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is 19.
Let x be the first number and y the next number. Therefore:
\(xy = 216\) and \(x + y = 35\). Solve the second equation for x:
\(x + y = 35 → x = 35 – y\)
Replace the value of x in the second equation with x in the first equation.
\(xy = 216 → (35 – y) y = 216 →35y – y^2 = 216 →\)
\(y^2 – 35y + 216 = 0\)
Factorize the polynomial: \((y – 8) (y – 27) = 0\)
\(y = 8\) or \(y = 27\)
The difference is 19.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 6th Grade MAP Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Add Mixed Numbers? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top 10 AFOQT Math Prep Books (Our 2023 Favorite Picks)
- Top 10 DAT Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions
- How to Use Number Lines for Multiplication by a Negative Integer
- Classify Faces of 3–Dimensional Figures
- Full-Length ISEE Upper-Level Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- FREE CLEP College Math Practice Test
- Praxis Core Math Practice Test Questions
- World Problems Involving Fractions of a Group
What people say about "Ratio, Proportion and Percentages Puzzle - Challenge 30"?
No one replied yet.