Ratio, Proportion and Percentages Puzzle – Challenge 30
This is a perfect math puzzle for those who love challenging their brain. The solution is also provided.
The product of two numbers is 216 and their sum is 35. What is their difference?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is 19.
Let x be the first number and y the next number. Therefore:
\(xy = 216\) and \(x + y = 35\). Solve the second equation for x:
\(x + y = 35 → x = 35 – y\)
Replace the value of x in the second equation with x in the first equation.
\(xy = 216 → (35 – y) y = 216 →35y – y^2 = 216 →\)
\(y^2 – 35y + 216 = 0\)
Factorize the polynomial: \((y – 8) (y – 27) = 0\)
\(y = 8\) or \(y = 27\)
The difference is 19.
More math articles
- 10 Most Common Praxis Core Math Questions
- What Kind of Math Is on the ASVAB Test?
- Top 10 FTCE Math Practice Questions
- SSAT Lower Level Math Practice Test Questions
- How to Factor Polynomials?
- SAT Math Formulas
- 10 Most Common 3rd Grade OST Math Questions
- Top 10 ParaPro Math Practice Questions
- FREE Praxis Core Math Practice Test
- Top 10 Tips to Overcome CLEP College Math Anxiety