Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 17
A FREE math puzzle for all ages! Sharing this fun math challenge with your kids is a good way to get them thinking mathematically.
How many numbers between 400 and 600 begins with digit 5 or ends with digit 5?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is C.
Numbers between 500 and 599 begin with 5. So, there are 100 numbers that begin with 5.
Consider numbers that end with 5:
405, 415, 425, 435, …, 495
Also, numbers 505, 515, 525, …, 595, end with 5. But, we counted them before!
There are 20 numbers that end with 5. We counted 10 of them before. Therefore, there are 100 + 10 = 110 numbers that begin with digit 5 or end with digit 5.
More math articles
- FREE 4th Grade MAP Math Practice Test
- How to Prepare for the TSI Math Test?
- Top 10 Tips for Managing Time Effectively on the ACT Math
- How to Rationalize Radical Expressions? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top 10 GED Math Prep Books to buy! (2022 Picks)
- How to Solve Compound Interest Problems?
- How to Find Modulus (Absolute Value) and Argument (Angle) of Complex Numbers?
- How to Manage Your Time Effectively on the Praxis Core Math Test?
- Full-Length 6th Grade IAR Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- 3rd Grade PARCC Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable