Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 17
A FREE math puzzle for all ages! Sharing this fun math challenge with your kids is a good way to get them thinking mathematically.
How many numbers between 400 and 600 begins with digit 5 or ends with digit 5?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is C.
Numbers between 500 and 599 begin with 5. So, there are 100 numbers that begin with 5.
Consider numbers that end with 5:
405, 415, 425, 435, …, 495
Also, numbers 505, 515, 525, …, 595, end with 5. But, we counted them before!
There are 20 numbers that end with 5. We counted 10 of them before. Therefore, there are 100 + 10 = 110 numbers that begin with digit 5 or end with digit 5.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 3rd Grade MEAP Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Evaluate Trigonometric Function? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- 6th Grade MCA Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Calculate the Area, Perimeter, and Radius of Quarter Circles
- A Comprehensive Collection of Free Praxis Math Practice Tests
- How to Represent Systems of Linear Equations Using Matrices?
- Function Values of Special Angles
- SSAT Upper Level Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- Understanding Occupations, Education, and Income
- Full-Length 8th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations