Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 17
A FREE math puzzle for all ages! Sharing this fun math challenge with your kids is a good way to get them thinking mathematically.
How many numbers between 400 and 600 begins with digit 5 or ends with digit 5?
The Absolute Best Book to challenge your Smart Student!
The correct answer is C.
Numbers between 500 and 599 begin with 5. So, there are 100 numbers that begin with 5.
Consider numbers that end with 5:
405, 415, 425, 435, …, 495
Also, numbers 505, 515, 525, …, 595, end with 5. But, we counted them before!
There are 20 numbers that end with 5. We counted 10 of them before. Therefore, there are 100 + 10 = 110 numbers that begin with digit 5 or end with digit 5.
More math articles
- Top 10 ParaPro Math Practice Questions
- 8th Grade Georgia Milestones Assessment System Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Divide Polynomials?
- How to Find Similar and Congruent Figures?
- 6 Strategies to Make Your Math Test Preparation More Effective
- A Comprehensive Collection of Free ALEKS Math Practice Tests
- How to Prepare for the CHSPE Math Test?
- FREE SSAT Upper Level Math Practice Test
- What is the Best Calculator for the PSAT Test?
- 4th Grade Common Core Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable