Algebra Puzzle – Critical Thinking 12
Challenge your students or kids with these mind-bending, critical-thinking puzzles. Solving this kind of challenge requires a certain combination of creative thinking and logical reasoning.
What is the next number?
3, 7, 23, 87, …?
The Absolute Best Book to Challenge Your Smart Student!
The correct answer is 343.
Find the pattern. First, try to find the relationship between the first and second numbers, 3 and 7.
7 is 3 plus 4, it’s also twice of 3 plus 1, or it’s three times of 3 minus 2, or 4 times of 3 minus 5.
Now, check the relationships with other numbers. For example 7 and 23.
23 is 7 plus 16. It’s also twice of 7 plus 9, or three times of seven plus 2, or four times of 7 minus 5. The last relationship is common for both 3 – 7 and 7 – 21.
Four times of 23 minus 5 is 87. Bingo!!
Therefore, the answer is: 4 × 87 – 5 = 343
The Absolute Best Books to Ace AlgebraSatisfied 1 StudentsSatisfied 125 Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- Unlocking the Secrets of Triangle Angle Bisectors
- Full-Length 6th Grade FSA Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- Full-Length TASC Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- Full-Length GRE Math Practice Test
- How to Find Variable and Fixed Expenses
- SAT Math vs. ACT Math: the Key Differences
- How Does SAT Essay Affect Writing Score?
- List Of the Best Middle School Math Supply for Learning
- Overview of the SHSAT Mathematics Test
- Top 10 CBEST Math Practice Questions