How to Estimate Quotients Using Compatible Numbers for One-digit Divisors
Estimating quotients using compatible numbers can make mental math easier, especially when dealing with larger numbers. Compatible numbers are numbers that are easy to compute mentally.
A Step-by-step Guide to Estimating Quotients Using Compatible Numbers for One-digit Divisors
Let’s consider an example where we need to estimate the quotient of 526 divided by 3. Here are the steps:
Step 1: Identify Compatible Numbers
Find a number close to 526 that is easily divisible by 3. In this case, 525 is a good choice because it’s very close to 526 and it’s divisible by 3.
Step 2: Perform the Division with Compatible Numbers
Divide the compatible number by the divisor:
Step 3: Use the Result as an Estimate
The result of this division (175) can serve as an estimate for the original problem, \(526÷3\).
The actual answer of \(526÷3\) is about 175.33. So, the estimation using compatible numbers gives us a close approximation to the actual answer, and it’s much easier to compute mentally.
Remember, the purpose of estimating compatible numbers is to make mental calculations simpler, not to find the exact answer.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- How to Solve Double Angle Identities?
- The Ultimate Precalculus Course
- 10 Most Common 3rd Grade Common Core Math Questions
- Top 10 SAT Math Prep Books (Our 2023 Favorite Picks)
- TABE Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 4th Grade MAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Graph Logarithmic Functions?
- How to Solve Venn Diagrams and the Addition Rule?
- Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 19
- Geometry Puzzle – Challenge 62