How to Add and Subtract Mixed Time Units
Adding and subtracting mixed time units, such as hours and minutes or minutes and seconds, can seem tricky at first, but it becomes easy once you understand the conversions between different units of time.
A Step-by-step Guide to Adding and Subtracting Mixed Time Units
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to add and subtract mixed time units:
Step 1: Understand the time units
First, it’s important to understand the relationship between different units of time:
- 1 hour = 60 minutes
- 1 minute = 60 seconds
Step 2: Convert all time to the same unit
Before you can add or subtract, you should convert all time to the same unit. If you’re working with hours and minutes, convert everything to minutes. If you’re working with minutes and seconds, convert everything to seconds.
Step 3: Perform the operation
Once all time is in the same unit, add or subtract as the problem requires.
Step 4: Convert back if necessary
Once you’ve added or subtracted, you might need to convert your answer back to mixed units.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 8th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test Questions
- Best Online Math Tutoring Devices
- How Is the Accuplacer Test Scored?
- 10 Most Common 4th Grade MAP Math Questions
- Bar Graph
- Top 10 Free Websites for SAT Math Preparation
- ACT Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Use Strip Diagrams to Solve Multi-step Word Problems
- How to Get ALEKS Done Fast?
- Number Properties Puzzle – Challenge 6