How to Graph a Horizontal or Vertical line?
Vertical and horizontal lines are special types of lines that do not need to calculate the slope of the line to graph them. In this article, you will learn how to graph vertical and horizontal lines step-by-step.
A step-by-step guide to graph a horizontal or vertical line
The horizontal line is a straight line drawn from the left to the right of the coordinate plane without a slope. The general equation of the horizontal line is as \(y=a\), where \(a\) is a real number in this equation.
In horizontal lines, the slope is equal to \(0\) and these lines are drawn parallel to the \(x\)-axis. In fact, the x-axis is also a horizontal line.
To graph the horizontal line with the equation \(y=a\), consider some points whose \(y\)-value is equal to \(a\) and connect the points.
A vertical line is a straight line drawn from the bottom to the top of the coordinate plane. The general equation of the horizontal line is \(x=a\), where a is a real number in this equation.
In vertical lines, the slope is undefined and these lines are drawn parallel to the \(y\)-axis. In fact, the \(y\)-axis is also a vertical line.
To draw a graph of a vertical line with the equation \(x=a\), consider some points whose value of \(x\) is equal to \(a\) and connect the points.
Graphing a Horizontal or Vertical line -Example 1
Graph this equation: \(y=4\)
\(y=4\) is a horizontal line and this equation tells you that every \(y\)-value is \(4\). You can consider some points that have a \(y\)-the value of \(4\), then draw a line that connects the points.
Exercises for Graphing a Horizontal or Vertical line
Graph the following equations.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 7th Grade NYSE Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- Other Topics Puzzle – Challenge 97
- 5th Grade LEAP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- 10 Most Common 5th Grade NYSE Math Questions
- Math Classroom Decorations and Bulletin Board Supplies
- Top 10 5th Grade Georgia Milestones Assessment System Math Practice Questions
- Top 10 Tips You MUST Know to Retake the ISEE Math
- ParaPro Math Formulas
- How to Define Sine, Cosine, and Tangent
- A Comprehensive Collection of Free HSPT Math Practice Tests