How to Graph a Horizontal or Vertical line?
Vertical and horizontal lines are special types of lines that do not need to calculate the slope of the line to graph them. In this article, you will learn how to graph vertical and horizontal lines step-by-step.
A step-by-step guide to graph a horizontal or vertical line
The horizontal line is a straight line drawn from the left to the right of the coordinate plane without a slope. The general equation of the horizontal line is as \(y=a\), where \(a\) is a real number in this equation. In horizontal lines, the slope is equal to \(0\) and these lines are drawn parallel to the \(x\)-axis. In fact, the x-axis is also a horizontal line.
To graph the horizontal line with the equation \(y=a\), consider some points whose \(y\)-value is equal to \(a\) and connect the points.
A vertical line is a straight line drawn from the bottom to the top of the coordinate plane. The general equation of the horizontal line is \(x=a\), where a is a real number in this equation. In vertical lines, the slope is undefined and these lines are drawn parallel to the \(y\)-axis. In fact, the \(y\)-axis is also a vertical line.
To draw a graph of a vertical line with the equation \(x=a\), consider some points whose value of \(x\) is equal to \(a\) and connect the points.
Graphing a Horizontal or Vertical line -Example 1
Graph this equation: \(y=4\)
\(y=4\) is a horizontal line and this equation tells you that every \(y\)-value is \(4\). You can consider some points that have a \(y\)-the value of \(4\), then draw a line that connects the points.
Exercises for Graphing a Horizontal or Vertical line
Graph the following equations.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- Full-Length 6th Grade ACT Aspire Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- ACT Math: Test-Taking Strategies
- How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring?
- How to Solve Logarithmic Equations? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top 10 Tips to ACE the PSAT/NMSQT Math Test
- The Ultimate SAT Math Course (+FREE Worksheets & Tests)
- 4th Grade SBAC Math Practice Test Questions
- Top 10 3rd Grade FSA Math Practice Questions
- How long Is the ACCUPLACER Test?
- Top 10 Tips You MUST Know to Retake the ATI TEAS Math
What people say about "How to Graph a Horizontal or Vertical line?"?
No one replied yet.