Using Number Lines to Subtract Integers
A number line is a visual representation of numbers arranged in order from smallest to largest. It is often used to help understand the addition and subtraction of integers.
A step-by-step guide to using Number Lines to Subtract Integers
To subtract integers using a number line, you have to move in the opposing direction for adding integers.
Utilize a number line to add and subtract integers:
- To add positive integers, move towards the right on a number line.
- To add negative integers, move towards the left on a number line.
- To subtract integers, add their opposites.
Here’s how to subtract integers using a number line:
- Start at the first number (the minuend) and move to the left for each unit of the second number (the subtrahend). For example, if you’re subtracting -3 from 4, start at 4 and move 3 units to the left.
- Label the endpoint of the distance you traveled with the difference. So in the example above, the difference would be labeled as 1.
- Write the difference as the solution to the subtraction problem. In this case, the solution would be 4 – (-3) = 1.
Note: When subtracting a positive number, you move to the left on the number line. When subtracting a negative number, you move to the right on the number line.
Using Number Lines to Subtract Integers – Example 1
Solve \((-8)-(-14)=\)? and graph on the number line.
Step 1: Find the first number on the number line. \(-8\)
Step 2: Change the second number’s sign to its opposite. (Convert subtraction into addition). \(-14→14\)
Using Number Lines to Subtract Integers – Example 2
Solve \(7-11=\) ? and graph on the number line.
Step 1: Find the first number on the number line. 7
Step 2: Change the second number’s sign to its opposite. (Convert addition into subtraction). \(11→-11\)
Related to This Article
More math articles
- How to Solve Linear Inequalities?
- Do You Need to Pass the CBEST to be a Substitute Teacher?
- 9 Best Math Websites for Teachers and Students
- ASTB Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Find Length of a Vector
- How to Convert Repeating Decimals to Fractions? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Full-Length AFOQT Math Practice Test
- How to Simplify Polynomials? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- Top Calculators for the TASC 2023: Quick Review
- The Ultimate KAP Algebra 1 Course (+FREE Worksheets)