The Math Storyteller: How to Unravel Word Problems of Two-step Equations
Greetings, dear math adventurers!
Today, we embark on a new quest: unraveling word problems of two-step equations. Just like reading a story, solving word problems involves understanding the plot and untangling the details to find our answer. Let's set forth on our journey!
1. The Characters: Two-step Equations
In our stories, two-step equations play a leading role. These equations take us on a journey of solving for an unknown, step by step.
2. The Plot: Word Problems
The word problems set the stage for our adventure. They describe a scenario that we need to translate into a two-step equation and solve.
Your Adventure Guide to Word Problems of Two-step Equations
Let’s delve into the journey:
Step 1: Understand the Problem
Read the problem carefully, just like you would a story. What is happening? What do we need to find?
Step 2: Translate the Words into an Equation
Take the scenario and turn it into a two-step equation. Look for clues in the problem that indicate mathematical operations.
Step 3: Solve the Equation
Apply the two-step equation-solving skills we learned previously to find the unknown.
Consider this example: Jenny saves \($15\) from her allowance every week. After \(5\) weeks, she has \($95\). How much money did Jenny start with?
- Understand the Problem: We need to find how much money Jenny started with. She saves \($15\) every week for \(5\) weeks, and now she has \($95\).
- Translate the Words into an Equation: If Jenny started with x dollars, then according to the problem, \(x + 15\times 5 = 95\).
- Solve the Equation: We solve this two-step equation to find that \(x = $20\).
And thus, our adventure concludes! With each word problem, we’re not just solving equations – we’re unraveling a math story. Practice makes perfect, so keep going on these math adventures and soon you’ll become the ultimate math storyteller. Until our next adventure, happy problem-solving!
Related to This Article
More math articles
- FREE 8th Grade NYSE Math Practice Test
- The Most Effective Methods for Learning Math Facts and Improving Number Sense
- How to Make Math Lessons More Engaging?
- 3rd Grade STAAR Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- CHSPE Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- ALEKS Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- How to Graph Proportional Relationships and Find the Slope
- 7th Grade Georgia Milestones Assessment System Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- How to Develop a Mindset for Math in 7 Steps?
- How to Find Missing Angels in Quadrilateral Shapes? (+FREE Worksheet!)