Big Number Brainwork: How to Solve Word Problems with Large Whole Number Operations
Real-world scenarios often involve large numbers, especially when dealing with populations, budgets, or vast quantities. Let's explore how to tackle word problems that require adding and subtracting whole numbers, even those in the billions.
Adding and Subtracting Whole Numbers in Word Problems
The population of Country A in 2020 was \(3,456,789,012\). By 2025, it increased by \(1,234,567,890\). What was the population in 2025?
Add the population increase to the 2020 population.
The population in 2025 was \(4,691,356,902\).
The Absolute Best Book for 5th Grade Students
The government had a budget of \(7,890,123,456\) dollars. They spent \(5,678,912,345\) dollars on infrastructure. How much of the budget remains?
Subtract the amount spent from the total budget.
The remaining budget is \(2,211,211,111\) dollars.
Word problems involving large numbers can initially seem intimidating. However, by carefully extracting the relevant data and applying basic addition or subtraction, you can easily find the solution. Always remember to read the problem thoroughly, identify the operation needed, and align numbers correctly. With practice, you’ll become adept at solving these real-world challenges involving big numbers!
1. A company made sales of \(4,567,890,123\) dollars in 2020 and \(3,456,789,012\) dollars in 2021. What was the total sales for both years?
2. The world’s largest forest had \(6,789,012,345\) trees. Due to deforestation, \(1,234,567,890\) trees were cut down. How many trees remain?
3. A charity received donations of \(1,234,567,890\) dollars in the first year and \(9,876,543,210\) dollars in the second year. How much did they receive in total?
4. A city had a water reserve of \(5,678,901,234\) liters. Due to a drought, \(2,345,678,901\) liters evaporated. How much water remains in the reserve?
5. A tech company sold \(7,890,123,456\) devices in the first quarter and \(1,111,111,111\) devices in the second quarter. What was their total sales for both quarters?
A Perfect Book for Grade 5 Math Word Problems!
1. \(8,024,679,135\) dollars
2. \(5,554,444,455\) trees
3. \(11,111,111,100\) dollars
4. \(3,333,222,333\) liters
5. \(9,001,234,567\) devices
The Best Math Books for Elementary Students
Related to This Article
More math articles
- How To Solve Word Problems for Explaining Fractions as Division
- 3rd Grade MCAS Math Practice Test Questions
- 5th Grade STAAR Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- FREE 4th Grade MCAS Math Practice Test
- Full-Length Accuplacer Math Practice Test-Answers and Explanations
- 10 Most Common 5th Grade PARCC Math Questions
- How to Find Reference Angles?
- 7th Grade SBAC Math FREE Sample Practice Questions
- Full-Length AFOQT Math Practice Test
- 4th Grade WY-TOPP Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable