Completing a Table and Make a Graph of Ratios and Rates
There are some equivalent ratios in the ratio table.
Ratio tables are made of two parts (x, y) that follow a certain rule.
The rules may be addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division that repeats in the table.
A step-by-step guide to Completing a Table and Making a Graph of Ratios and Rates
- Begin by defining the variables and units of measurement for the ratios and rates you will be graphing.
- Create a table with columns for the variables and rows for the data.
- Collect and record the data for each variable in the appropriate cells of the table.
- Calculate the ratios or rates based on the data in the table. These can be expressed as fractions or decimals.
- Choose an appropriate type of graph to represent the data, such as a bar graph, line graph, or scatter plot.
- Label the x-axis and y-axis with the appropriate variables and units of measurement.
- Plot the data points on the graph using the ratios or rates calculated in step 4.
- Add a title to the graph that clearly describes the data being represented.
- Finally, analyze the graph and make conclusions about the relationship between the variables.
Ratio Tables – Examples 1
Cups of tomatoes
Cups of hot peppers
To make the chili sauce, Kate uses 6 cups of tomatoes for every 2 cups of hot peppers. Complete the table and make a graph.
Step 1: Kate uses 6 cups of tomatoes for every 2 cups of hot peppers. So, write it as a rate. \(6÷3=2, 12÷3=4, 18÷3=6, 24÷3=8\)
Step 2: Write them as a ratio. 6:2, 12:4, 18:6, 24:8
Step 3: Make a graph and plot these pairs of ratios on the graph.
Ratio Tables – Examples 2
Kevin goes hiking every weekend. He always runs 3 miles lengths at a slow pace for every 1.5-mile length at a fast pace. Complete the table and make a graph.
Step 1: He always runs 3 miles lengths at a slow pace for every 1.5-mile length at a fast pace. So, write it as a rate. \(3÷2=1.5, 6÷2=3, 9÷2=4.5, 12÷2=6\)
Step 2: Write them as a ratio. 3:1.5, 6:3, 9:4.5, 12:6
Related to This Article
More math articles
- How to Prepare for the ParaPro Math Test?
- 5 Best Touchscreen Monitors for Teaching Online
- How to Write Linear Equations from Graphs
- The Ultimate 6th Grade SBAC Math Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- How to Solve Angles and Angle Measure? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- How to Solve Systems of Equations Graphically?
- Best Cheap Laptops for Online Teachers: Top Picks
- How to Solve Word Problems of Calculating Profit
- Top 10 Tips to Overcome HSPT Math Anxiety
- Top 10 PSAT 8/9 Math Prep Books (Our 2023 Favorite Picks)