How to Solve Word Problems of Elapsed Time
Word problems involving elapsed time at the elementary level typically require students to determine the time that has passed between two given times or events.
A Step-by-step Guide to Solving Word Problems of Elapsed Time
Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you solve word problems involving elapsed time:
Step 1: Read and Understand the Problem
Carefully read the word problem to fully understand what it is asking. Identify the starting time, ending time, and any other relevant information provided.
Step 2: Identify the Knowns and Unknowns
Determine what information is given (knowns) and what information you need to find (unknowns). This will help you organize the problem and set up the solution.
Step 3: Determine the Time Units
Identify the units of time used in the problem. Determine if the problem involves hours, minutes, or a combination of both.
Step 4: Set Up the Problem
Based on the knowns and unknowns, set up the problem mathematically. Determine the operation you need to perform to find the elapsed time.
- To find the elapsed time, subtract the starting time from the ending time.
- To find the ending time, add the elapsed time to the starting time.
Step 5: Perform the Operation
Perform the necessary calculations to find the answer. Make sure to carry over minutes or hours correctly when subtracting or adding time.
Step 6: Check Your Answer
Double-check your calculations and ensure that your answer makes sense in the context of the problem. Verify that the units of time are correct and the answer aligns with the question asked.
Practice solving various word problems involving elapsed time to strengthen your skills. Remember to carefully read the problem, identify the knowns and unknowns, and set up the problem correctly before performing the calculations.
Related to This Article
More math articles
- 6th Grade AZMerit Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable
- Bridging the Gap: From Basic Math to Algebra with “Pre-Algebra for Beginners”
- 5 Essential Strategies in Teaching Math
- How to Find Complementary and Supplementary Angles? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- How to Prepare for the ASTB Math Test?
- Pictographs and Tally Charts
- The Ultimate Regents Algebra 1 Course (+FREE Worksheets)
- ISEE Middle-Level Math Practice Test Questions
- How to Solve Negative Exponents and Negative Bases? (+FREE Worksheet!)
- 4th Grade WVGSA Math Worksheets: FREE & Printable